Chair, Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights Practice Group
Mr. Gadsden has a corporate and litigation practice involving structured finance, restructuring and bankruptcy and corporate trust matters. In addition to representing issuers of high-yield and asset backed securities and borrowers on syndicated lending facilities, he frequently represents corporate trustees for corporate and municipal debt in connection with the issuance of the debt and defaults and restructurings, including chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. He is a past Chair of the Committee on Trust Indentures and Indenture Trustees of the American Bar Association’s Section of Business Law. He contributed the chapter on Corporate Trust Opinions to the Legal Opinions in Corporate Transactions treatise published by Practicing Law Institute in 2014.
He was a member of the drafting committee for the ABA’s Revised Model Simplified Indenture published in The Business Lawyer in 1999, the Model Negotiated Covenants published in The Business Lawyer in 2006 and the Annotated Trust Indenture Act published in The Business Lawyer in 2012. He has represented parties in litigation and acted as an expert witness in litigation involving indenture interpretation issues.
He is a member of the TriBar Opinion Committee, is also active in the Working Group on Legal Opinions Foundation, was the Reporter for the Special Report on the Preparation of Substantive Consolidation Opinions by the Committee on Structured Finance and the Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization of The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, was the Chair of the Subcommittee of the Committee on Commercial and Uniform State Laws that prepared the City Bar’s Report recommending that New York enact the Uniform Voidable Transactions Act, and is a frequent author and speaker.
- 1975 New York
- 1975 U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- 1975 U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- 1999 U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- 2001 U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- 2012 U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- The American Law Institute (Sustaining Member)
- American Bar Association (Section of Business Law, Committee on Trust Indentures and Indenture Trustees, Chair 2002-2006; Business Bankruptcy, Commercial Finance, UCC and Legal Opinions Committees)
- TriBar Opinion Committee
- Working Group on Legal Opinions Foundation
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Member, Committee on Commercial and Uniform State Laws, Former member, Committees on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization, Structured Finance, Banking Law and Admiralty)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Foundation (Sustaining Life Fellow)
- International Bar Association (Member, Section of Insolvency, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights)
- Member of the mediation panels of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York and U.S. Bankruptcy Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and District of Delaware
- B.A., 1971 University of Rochester, with distinction in Political Science
- J.D., 1974 Columbia Law School (James Kent Scholarship; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar)