Karen E. Meara
- Defended energy company against New York Navigation Law claim in which owner and prior operator of petroleum contaminated site sought not only remediation costs but also highly speculative lost profits. The parties settled on terms favorable to our client.
- Provide timely and pragmatic advice to state agencies on compliance with state and federal environmental review laws including HUD environmental regulations, SEQRA, and historic preservation laws for public infrastructure projects in New York City and Long Island.
- Represented cooperative apartment building in Article 78 challenge to Board of Standards and Appeals determination granting variances for adjacent development. Achieved favorable settlement with developer.
- Provided advice to owner of property adjacent to severely contaminated site for minimizing and managing potential exposure to public and private environmental liability under state and federal environmental statutes.
- Provide comprehensive environmental review and permitting advice to energy company expanding capacity of existing natural gas pipelines.
- On behalf of shipping companies, brought successful administrative challenge to impractical aspects of state ballast water rule.
- Represent property owners in proceedings before a Community Board and the Landmark Preservation Commission regarding proposed designations and certificates of appropriateness.
- Represent property owners and environmental organization in ongoing challenge to issuance of special permit and rezoning proposals.
- Provided advice to New York State municipality on options for revising village zoning code.
- Represented real estate finance company in successful mediation of breach of contract dispute brought by former partner.
- In an ongoing discovery dispute, helped out-of-state tax board gain access to crucial materials held by a third party in New York.
- Represented vendor in negotiation of five year, $381 million renewal contract with the New York City Department of Education for the provision of student transportation services.
- B.S., 1987 Cornell University (with distinction)
- M.S., 1992 Cornell University
- J.D., 2009 Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (magna cum laude)