- News & Publications
- The Shale Revolution Conference in Washington, DC - October 20-22, 2010
OPPORTUNITIES AND RISKS AT A TIME OF TRANSFORMATIONAL CHANGE
The game-changing potential of shale is the hottest topic in U.S. and global energy markets in decades. A vast new energy resource has been unlocked – as much as total Saudi Arabian oil production over the past twenty years, in energy-equivalent terms, but sitting right in our own backyard. If this resource is fully utilized, total U.S. production of natural gas can be increased by 50% over the next five to seven years at costs well below conventional natural gas – and at less than half of current oil prices.
CONFERENCE: THE SHALE REVOLUTION • OCTOBER 21 – 22, 2010
In this intensive one-and-a-half-day program, Andy Weissman will address in detail:
- Why production of natural gas from shale has suddenly soared
- Whether this growth is sustainable and how it will affect short- and long-term prices for electricity and natural gas
- The controversy regarding hydraulic fracturing
- Whether drilling will be cut back, potential impacts of rig-count reductions and reasons why E&P companies are stampeding towards liquid-rich shale
- Sweeping implications for coal use; wind, solar, and nuclear power; energy efficiency; and development of the Smart Grid and other clean energy technologies
- How investments in Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), underground storage, post-blow-out drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, and oil sands development will be affected;
- New opportunities for U.S. manufacturers to gain a major competitive advantage in global markets and to expand market share
- Far-reaching implications for climate change due to continued use of existing coal-fired electric generating units
- Most likely winners and losers in the E&P and manufacturing industries
- Risks and potential profits for hedge funds, energy traders, institutional investors, bankers, independent power producers, electric utilities and competitive retail electricity and natural gas suppliers.
The sudden emergence of this transformational resource is permanently changing American natural gas, electricity, and coal markets. It has sweeping implications for U.S. energy and environmental policy, renewable energy, and every sector of the economy.
PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOP: UNDERSTANDING NATURAL GAS PRICE DRIVERS • AFTERNOON OF OCTOBER 20, 2010
In this special half-day workshop, Andy Weissman will discuss his unique understanding of essential market drivers, including:
- Key determinants of natural gas and electricity prices in the U.S. market
- Critical role of weather-sensitive demand and natural gas storage
- Primary causes of price spikes during the past decade and major shifts in the forward delivery price curve
- Core price drivers in 2010 and beyond
- Causes of recent price declines
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Every large natural gas or electricity user, producer, investor, trader, policy maker, financial advisor, lawyer, accountant, and energy consultant must thoroughly understand the sweeping implications of this critical resource for U.S., Canadian and global energy markets
ABOUT ANDY WEISSMAN
During the past decade, Andy Weissman’s ability to accurately predict major energy market price trends has been unparalleled in both up and down markets. He is a nationally recognized expert on the natural gas, oil, electricity and coal markets; commodities trading and pricing; electric utility industry restructuring; regulatory policy; Clean Air Act issues; power supply planning and the emerging technologies needed to provide alternative sources of energy.
Andy is an honors graduate of Harvard Law School and member of the District of Columbia and U.S. Supreme Court Bars. He is a partner in Carter Ledyard & Milburn, L.L.P., and Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Energy Business Watch, the premier energy advisory service.
Hotel Palomar, 2121 P Street NW, Washington DC 20037 • 202-448-1800
Pre-Conference Workshop: October 20, 2010, 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Conference: October 21, 2010, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, and October 22, 2010, 8:00 am to 12:30 pm
This is a “must-attend” program. Space is limited. Register now to reserve your seat!
To make sure you reserve a seat, call 877-341-3401 or email ShaleRevolution@EnergyBusinessWatch.com
Mr. McCarthy has joined the firm as a partner in the Litigation Department, bringing with him years of experience in international litigation and arbitration.
Our 2017 Year in Review highlights the cutting-edge work of our clients, both foreign and domestic, and some of the ways we helped them succeed.
Working with Immigration Equality, Carter Ledyard continues to represent pro bono clients in regards to their LGBTQ asylum applications.
Carter Ledyard client Lisa Schwarz, developer of the Comprehensive Resource Model trauma treatment model, prevailed on her motion for contempt against Dr. David Grand in proceedings in the Federal District Court for the…
Together with Her Justice, Carter Ledyard attorneys were successful in guiding pro bono clients apply for their U-Visa, obtain deferred and final approval of legal status, and receive employment authorization.
At the 2018 Commitment to Justice Awards, Legal Assistant Bill Borenstein was honored with the Deborah E. Smith Award. The award acknowledged Mr. Borenstein for his years of outstanding service.
Managing Partner Christine Fazio and Ethan Strell, assistant general counsel of the National Audubon Society, co-wrote an article featured in the New York Law Journal on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA), one of the oldest…
Carter Ledyard Counsel Valentino Vasi was quoted in an article published by the Bank Insurance & Securities Association (BISA) regarding best practices and suggestions for improving cybersecurity polices for financial…
Carter Ledyard & Milburn is proud to participate in this year’s Justice Served campaign, an effort by the legal community to end hunger in New York City.
On January 22, 2018, the New York Law Journal published a recent decision by the New York County Surrogate's Court granting a motion to dismiss in favor of a Carter Ledyard client.
Carter Ledyard Partner Pang Zhang-Whitaker is presenting a series of 8 weekly talks on “Chinese cross border investments in the US – law and practice" for the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade…