John R. Casolaro
John R. Casolaro
Mr. Casolaro focuses his practice on Eminent Domain Law, and also has extensive experience with the valuation of real estate, construction contracts and disputes which arise in connection with the foregoing. He has guided municipal and other public benefit corporations through the planning process for acquisition of properties by eminent domain, the public hearings process, and legal challenges to decisions to acquire properties by eminent domain. Mr. Casolaro has a stellar appellate record representing condemning authorities against challenges to their authority to condemn property, to the public use underlying their exercise of the eminent domain power, and to other constitutional challenges to acquisitions via eminent domain. Mr. Casolaro has acted as lead counsel in valuation proceedings involving fee and fixture claims and has argued several of the leading appellate decisions in New York involving challenges to the authority of condemning agencies and the constitutionality of proposed acquisitions of property.
Mr. Casolaro has prepared and negotiated hundreds of design professional and construction contracts and has filed, obtained the dismissal of, and litigated mechanic’s lien claims of all types and sizes. Mr. Casolaro’s practice includes arbitrations and appraisals involving rent adjustments under long term ground leases and other litigation involving real estate. Mr. Casolaro also has extensive appellate experience, having argued cases in all New York appellate courts and in the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- 1978 New York
- 1978 U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- 1995 U.S. Supreme Court
- 2001 U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- The New York City Bar Association, (Construction Law Committee, Chair 1994-1997)
- New York State Bar Association
- B. Engr. (civil), 1974 The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art (cum laude)
- J.D., 1977 Syracuse University College of Law (cum laude; Editor, Syracuse Law Review)