Jeremy S. Steckel
- Obtained approval of New York State Attorney General for three separate sales of real property by a public charity with over 300 members. Advised charity’s investment committee on managing sale proceeds in compliance with New York Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (NYPMIFA), and negotiated contracts with investment advisors.
- Advised a group of private foundations, each run by a different family member, on compliance with state and federal law, including annual excise tax, self-dealing, minimum distribution, excess business holdings, and taxable expenditure rules.
- Drafted or amended governance documents for several private foundations and public charities, providing them with state-of-the-art bylaws, committee charters, and conflict of interest and whistleblower policies. Answer governance questions from directors, officers and staff on an ongoing basis.
- Advised a private foundation making foreign grants on IRS expenditure responsibility rules and Treasury Department anti-terrorist financing guidelines, and provided tax-code compliant grant agreements.
- Advised a trade association on cybersecurity and data privacy matters, including updating its website, policies and practices to comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Dissolved a New York not-for-profit corporation (after obtaining Attorney General approval) and a Delaware nonstock, nonprofit corporation.
- B.A., 2000 Tulane University
- J.D., 2008 American University, Washington College of Law