Reputational remediation and management are at the heart of Carter Ledyard’s First Amendment and Media Law Group’s practice. When clients are threatened with the publication of damaging misinformation, CL&M attempts to prevent or mitigate the threatened harm, often engaging directly with the party that contemplates the damaging publication. In a world where misinformation can circle the globe in a matter of seconds and then remain accessible in cyberspace forever, prompt action is essential. Where a damaging publication has already occurred, CL&M works to restore the client’s injured reputation through retraction or corrective publication or, when necessary, by filing a defamation lawsuit in court.
The origin of our First Amendment and Media Law practice goes back four decades to when one of our group’s Co-Chairs established himself as one of the nation’s leading lawyers for plaintiffs in defamation actions. In the last decade, the Group has grown substantially, largely through collaboration with the Firm’s litigators who handle White Collar cases and investigations: clients who are the subject of government action are frequently the victims of distorted media coverage. CL&M is able to deliver a coordinated response that address those distinct but not entirely unrelated threats.
Recent and Ongoing Representative matters include:
- Ongoing representation of three so called “oligarchs” in defamation cases arising out of the publication of statements in a portion of the so-called “Steele Dossier.”
- Represented the former CEO of a large, public company in claims against a publisher to correct inaccurate claims made about our client, a former Fortune 500 CEO. Future editions and an online version of the book have been corrected.
- Persuaded a New York tabloid to place an editor’s note in the newspaper’s electronic archive which not only corrected the false allegation in the original publication against our client, but enabled us to persuade websites around the world to take down their republication of the original article.
- Represented a senior officer of a major publishing group falsely accused of sexual misconduct for whom we negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Represented an international operator of fine dining and day/night clubs falsely accused of receiving funds from the fraud perpetrated on the Malaysian 1MDB sovereign wealth fund.
- Represented the Speaker of the House of a State legislature falsely accused of being the subject of an FBI investigation by the “investigative reporter” for a large TV station.
- Represented a clinical psychologist, who frequently testified at government expense in incarceration proceedings against individuals accused of recidivist sexual predation, accused by the state’s leading newspaper of bilking the state by unscientific testimony.
- Ongoing representation of a client wrongfully tied by a book authored by investigative reporters to the infamous Malaysian 1MDB scandal.
- Ongoing representation of one of the country’s most successful biotech investors who was falsely accused, in an industry publication, of creating a sexually abusive work environment.
- Represented a biotech investor who was threatened by a leading news agency of publishing an article accusing our client of creating a conflicted securities marketing structure at a disadvantage to other investors.