Tax considerations frequently play a vital role in business transactions and in personal financial planning. The firm’s Tax Department provides general tax planning for corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, tax-exempt organizations, individuals and estates. We also provide sophisticated advice regarding the tax aspects of business and investment transactions.
We have extensive experience in:
- Structuring business and investment transactions – including mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, recapitalizations, joint ventures, initial public offerings and other financings – to achieve tax efficiencies for our clients
- Counseling clients on the tax consequences of mergers and acquisitions
- Advising hedge funds and private equity funds
- Structuring international capital markets transaction
- Real estate transactions, including like-kind exchanges and condemnations
- Working with financial institutions to develop innovative financial products
- Representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service, state taxing agencies and the U.S. Tax Court
- Tax planning for non-resident aliens and foreign corporations, including inbound investments by such persons and planning for individuals who are planning to take up temporary or permanent U.S. residence
- Tax planning for investments overseas by U.S. persons
- Planning, documentation and implementation of employee benefit programs of all types
- Drafting and commenting upon tax legislation and regulations
- New York state and local tax issues
- Forming and representing tax-exempt organizations, including planning for joint ventures with for-profit organizations
In addition, we review potential investments on behalf of our individual and corporate clients, and we work with the Trusts & Estates Department to advise high-net-worth individuals.
We regularly publish articles and speak on various tax topics. Our Chair, Melinda Fellner, also hosts a Tax podcast, which can be found here.