Carter Ledyard’s Internal Investigations and White-Collar Defense Group handles all types of state and federal criminal and regulatory matters on behalf of individuals and businesses. We conduct complex internal investigations, and counsel corporations and individuals in their response to state and federal subpoenas for documents or witness testimony. Carter Ledyard & Milburn attorneys are experienced in all aspects of white collar matters and include former state and federal prosecutors and former members of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission legal staff.
Substantive Areas of White Collar Practice
Antitrust and Unfair Competition: We are highly experienced in antitrust and trade regulation matters. Our attorneys represent businesses and individuals facing criminal or civil charges involving allegations of collusive conduct, such as illegal mergers under the Clayton Act, and price discrimination under the Robinson-Patman Act.
- We defended a French business jet manufacturer and its U.S. subsidiary in a civil investigation by the Justice Department, and against treble damage antitrust claims under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act.
- We represented a witness in a bid rigging investigation conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York.
- For a major ocean carrier, we led an internal investigation of collusive conduct in the shipping industry and guided the client through negotiations with U.S. enforcement authorities to avoid fines and other sanctions.
Criminal Defense: Our attorneys represent individuals and businesses in criminal investigations and actions in state and federal court.
Internal Investigations: Our attorneys conduct internal investigations of businesses facing potential criminal or civil penalties or other liability.
- We performed an internal investigation and advised a government agency concerning a bid solicitation and contract to deconstruct a building in Lower Manhattan.
- We led an internal investigation of antitrust violations in the parcel tanker industry. Worked with co-counsel to secure complete immunity from criminal prosecution for the client and its executives under the Justice Department’s Corporate Leniency Program
Securities Fraud: Our attorneys represent corporations, directors, officers, and other employees or former employees in actions involving alleged violations of the federal securities laws. Typically, the firm represents corporations or individuals facing claims of and state violations of the anti-fraud provisions of the securities laws, which arise in a variety of factual contexts including mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, tender offers, private placements, financing and broker/customer relations.
- We represented corporations and individuals in their response to subpoenas from state or federal authorities for documents or testimony
- We represented individuals during investigations by, and testimony before, the SEC and NASD.
- We served as trial counsel for the chairman and chief executive officer of a major public company in an insider trading case brought by the SEC in federal court.
- We represented a witness in a major criminal trial in the Eastern District of New York involving allegations of fraud in an Internet website that provided information to investors for short-selling.
- We defended former officers and directors of corporations in connection with charges that they diverted company assets, committed insider trading, or committed other civil or criminal violations of the securities laws.